Monday 28 June 2010

Hello, hello, good to be back




No, I hadn't forgotten the blog. We've been away on holiday in the South of France, which was wonderful. Our daughter and son-in-law kept the garden well watered for us while we were away.


You can really see the difference when you come back after a fortnight away. The potato patch is like a forest. The runner beans are close to the top of their wigwams, so I believe I have to start pinching the tops out soon. Parsnips and french beans are doing really well, and the carrots, peas and lettuces which I planted shortly before we went away are coming through. Onions are mostly doing very well. The only things that appear to be struggling a bit are the spring onions which are still very tiny, and the leeks which are still thinner than I expected as well as not too many of them having germinated. Some of the radishes were ready to eat as you'll see from the attached pictures. We've had a few in salads yesterday and today and they were very tasty. I expect I should be putting in some more radishes, spring onions and lettuces, indeed I probably should have done so already but with so much going on it's been hard to keep on top of it all.


I'm sure next year with the experience gained and with less groundwork to do things will progress in a more organised way.

No comments:

Post a Comment